Work, work, work. It’s totally getting the way of my life and my NaNoWriMo project. Because I expected to be tied up with work until early next week, I’m still in the thinking-planning-dreaming phase of my Nano project. And, with some luck, I may get to start writing earlier than I planned.
In the meantime, I’m pulling together a playlist of music. Actually, I’m putting together two playlists — one for the present day and one from 1992, which is when a major event takes place that has a huge effect on the characters now. Picture it: a cross-country road trip, summer of 1992, a man on the run from the law and from some very bad men, and he’s got his 9-year-old daughter with him. What music is on the radio?
The present-day playlist has been easy to put together. Here’s what’s been playing on my commute, setting the mood for a beachside mystery.
- California — Phantom Planet
- Earthquake Weather — Beck
- Still in Hollywood — Concrete Blond
- Into the Ocean — Blue October
- Angeles — Elliott Smith
- The Horizon has been Defeated — Jack Johnson
- Six O’Clock News — Kathleen Edwards
- La Cienega Just Smiled — Ryan Adams
- Dani California — Red Hot Chili Peppers
- California — Rufus Wainwright
There’s more, but I’m pretty sure the theme is emerging. Or at least perhaps a setting. You may have picked up on it.
But seriously, anyone who recalls 1992, please suggest some music for my cross-country road-trip.