So, there’s good news and bad news. The good news is that I am still (mostly) on track to meet my yearly goal of writing 180,000 words in 2013. At the end of the first four months, I am 33-percent toward that goal with 58,808 words written.
The bad news is that I did not make my goal in April. I wrote 10,598 words, but my goal was 14,795. What happened? I’m not entirely sure. Allergies knocked me for a loop. I had to travel on short notice for work, but actually that was really productive time, so that’s not a good excuse. Work was busy, but not overly so.
In short, April was just rather a bust for writing. Not entirely a bust, though. I figured out the motivation for my heroine, Lindsey – or at a major source of fear that drives her with respect to her career. I wrote three scenes for this subplot and introduced two new characters. This will have be braided into the story in revisions, but I’m very happy that I now know why she’s always rushing into trouble.
Other stats this last month: I wrote 7,104 words on Trust Me, 1,509 words on Trouble, and 2,345 words on that idea that I wrote down in February so it would stop haunting me (Note to self: that plan did not work). I wrote 15 days and I averaged 365 words per day. To make my yearly goal, I should be writing 493 words per day.
I suppose I shouldn’t be too hard on myself for my April word-count, since I just realized that last year, I wrote 4,124 words and in 2011, I managed a scant 424 words. Now the 10,958 total is looking pretty good.
In the next month, I plan on continuing toward the conclusion of Trust Me. The story must end eventually and I need to figure out how to get all the threads aligned so there can be a climatic event. I know I say this every time I write a monthly recap, but I do feel like I’m close.